The Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship is one such opportunity. Offered through the Percy Martinez Foundation, the scholarship provides $5,000 per year for up to four years to international students from diverse cultural backgrounds. To qualify, you must be an undergraduate student on an F-1 visa, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and demonstrate financial need. The scholarship committee is especially interested in students who can showcase a commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding. If selected as a recipient, you’ll join a cohort of other international students and participate in leadership and networking opportunities with the Martinez Foundation. Apply by the December 1 deadline to be considered for this generous scholarship.
1. Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship
The Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship offers financial assistance to international students attending a US-based college or university. The goal of the scholarship is to promote cultural diversity and inclusion on campuses by supporting students from diverse ethnic and national backgrounds.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an international student in the US on an F1 or J1 student visa
- Be enrolled full-time in a 4-year bachelor’s degree program at an accredited US college or university
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need
- Show involvement in cultural activities and community service
The scholarship award amount is $5,000 per year and may be renewed for up to 3 additional years. Funds may be used to pay for tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies, and living expenses.
To apply, students must submit:
- A completed online application form including a personal essay
- Academic transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation from professors who can speak to the student’s academic abilities and potential
- A budget outlining how the scholarship funds would be used
The application deadline is April 15th each year. Recipients are announced in August. For more details or to apply online, visit the Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship website. By providing financial support to deserving international students, this scholarship aims to promote intercultural learning and understanding between people of diverse national and ethnic backgrounds.
2. Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship, you must meet several requirements.
You must be an international student who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada. You must provide documentation proving your citizenship status, such as a copy of your passport.
You must be enrolled full-time in a degree program at an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. or Canada. You must have a minimum 3.0 GPA. Official transcripts must be provided as evidence of enrollment and good academic standing.
You must demonstrate financial need. Your total family income must not exceed $60,000 USD per year. You will need to provide financial documents like tax returns, bank statements, pay stubs, or other records to verify your financial situation.
You must submit an essay of 500 to 1000 words on the topic of cultural diversity and inclusion. The essay should discuss your experiences with different cultures, your views on embracing diversity, and how the scholarship will help you promote inclusion and multiculturalism in your studies or community.
To summarize, to qualify for this scholarship, you must be an international student in need of financial assistance, in good academic standing, and able to thoughtfully discuss the values of cultural diversity. By supporting students who can become leaders in promoting inclusion, the Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship aims to create positive change. If you meet all eligibility criteria, we encourage you to apply.
3. How to Apply
To apply for the Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship, you must meet the eligibility criteria and submit a complete application.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be an international student planning to enroll in a degree program at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Demonstrate an interest in promoting cultural diversity and inclusion.
- Show financial need for tuition assistance.
A complete application consists of the following materials:
- Application form. Fill out the official application form, providing personal information like your name, contact details, educational background, and enrollment plans.
- Essay. Write a 500 to 1000 word essay discussing your interest in cultural diversity, how you have promoted inclusion in the past, and how you plan to advance diversity initiatives in your studies and community. Explain your goals and the impact you hope to make.
- Letters of recommendation. Submit two letters of recommendation from teachers, professors, or community leaders who can speak to your character, work ethic, and commitment to diversity. Ask them to provide specific examples of your relevant experiences, qualities, and potential.
- Transcripts. Send official transcripts from all high schools and colleges you have attended. Unofficial or self-reported scores and grades will not be accepted.
- Additional documents. You may be asked to provide additional documentation to verify financial need such as bank statements, tax returns, or student aid reports. Be prepared to submit these upon request.
The application deadline is April 1st each year. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If selected as a recipient, you will be notified by June 1st. Funds will be distributed directly to your educational institution to be used for tuition and related expenses.
Best of luck with your application! Promoting diversity and inclusion is so important, and we wish you the very best in your studies and advocacy work.
4. What Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship Covers
The Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship provides generous funding for international students to study in the United States. The scholarship covers:
Tuition and Fees
The scholarship will pay for tuition and required fees at the recipient’s chosen accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. This includes charges for instruction and the use of school facilities. Additional costs for room and board, transportation, and living expenses are not covered under the scholarship.
Required Books and Supplies
The recipient will receive an allowance of up to $1,000 per year for required books, supplies, and equipment. This can be used to purchase necessary materials for all courses in the recipient’s program of study. Any unused portion of this allowance cannot be carried over to subsequent years.
Comprehensive medical insurance will be provided for the duration of the recipient’s undergraduate program. This includes coverage for hospital stays, doctor visits, emergency care, prescriptions, and other medically necessary services. Dental and vision insurance are not included. Recipients should review full details of the medical plan to understand coverage limits and out-of-pocket costs.
A one-time travel allowance of up to $2,000 will be provided to the recipient for round-trip airfare to the U.S. from their home country at the start of their undergraduate program. No further travel funding will be provided over the course of study.
In summary, the Percy Martinez Cultural Diversity Scholarship aims to alleviate the substantial costs of higher education in America for international students through sponsoring tuition, fees, books, and medical insurance. Recipients should anticipate additional expenses not covered under the scholarship and plan accordingly. By removing financial barriers, this generous scholarship allows recipients to fully immerse themselves in their undergraduate studies and gain valuable intercultural experiences.
Read also:Top Canada Scholarships