The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship:As you ponder your options for postgraduate study, the costs and financial requirements can seem daunting. However, there are funding opportunities available for ambitious students with a vision for how they can contribute to their field of study and society.
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship provides full funding for a one-year masters degree at a leading university in the United States. The scholarship includes tuition fees, living expenses, travel, and insurance. Recipients will have access to a global network of scholars and opportunities for mentorship.
The Northcote Trust is looking for candidates with an excellent academic record, strong references, relevant work experience, and a clear vision for how their postgraduate study will benefit their career and community. If you have the motivation and passion to undertake intensive research and coursework at the postgraduate level, and the vision to make a difference in your field, the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship could be an ideal opportunity to fund your studies without incurring debt. Consider applying – you have nothing to lose and a world of possibilities to gain.
Overview of the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship offers financial support for postgraduate study at a New Zealand university. Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents to be eligible for the scholarship.
The scholarship provides an annual stipend of NZ$25,000 for up to three years of full-time study, as well as a one-off establishment allowance of NZ$3,000. It covers the essential costs of postgraduate study, including tuition fees, research costs, and living expenses.
To apply, candidates must submit an application form including:
- An outline of their proposed program of study or research including aims and objectives.
- A timeline for completion of the degree within the maximum period of three years.
- Academic transcripts for any previous tertiary study.
- References from two academic staff who can evaluate the candidate’s aptitude and ability to undertake postgraduate study.
The selection committee evaluates applicants based on their proposed research topic, academic merit, and potential for academic success at a postgraduate level. Preference may be given to candidates studying in certain priority areas like sciences, engineering, technology, and math.
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship allows talented students to pursue postgraduate education and research opportunities that may otherwise be unattainable due to financial constraints. For many recipients, the scholarship is life-changing, opening doors to rewarding careers and making a meaningful impact on New Zealand society.
Eligibility Requirements for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship
To be eligible for the prestigious Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. Academic Merit
Applicants must have an outstanding academic record, having achieved at least an upper second class Honors degree or equivalent in a subject area relevant to the proposed program of study. Preference may be given to applicants with a first class Honors degree or equivalent.
2. Research Potential
Applicants must demonstrate the potential to succeed in and contribute to a demanding research-based postgraduate program. Evidence of research experience, publications, or other research outputs will be viewed favorably.
3. Relevance of Proposed Program of Study
The proposed program of study must be directly relevant to the applicant’s prior academic background and enable them to develop specialized expertise in an important and emerging area of scholarship. Proposed programs of study that are interdisciplinary or cross-disciplinary in nature are encouraged.
4. Referee Reports
All applicants must provide referee reports from two academic referees who can evaluate the applicant’s aptitude and competence for the proposed program of study. Referee reports must be submitted directly by the referees.
5. Additional Requirements
•Applicants must not currently hold a research doctorate or equivalent.
•Applicants must be willing to commit to full-time study and reside in New Zealand for the duration of the scholarship.
•Applicants must meet the admission criteria for their proposed program of study, including English language proficiency requirements.
•Applicants must not have held a Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship previously.
Meeting these eligibility criteria is essential to being considered for this prestigious scholarship. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be assessed further.
How to Apply for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship
To apply for the prestigious Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship, you must meet the eligibility criteria and submit a strong application.
To be eligible for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand
- Have completed an undergraduate degree at an Australian or New Zealand university with at least a high credit (H2A) average
- Have been accepted into a full-time postgraduate coursework or research program at an Australian or New Zealand university
- Not already hold a postgraduate degree
2. The Application
A complete application for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship includes:
- A personal statement (500 words maximum) describing your academic background, research interests or study goals, and career aspirations. Discuss how the scholarship would benefit your studies and future objectives.
- Academic transcripts from all tertiary institutions attended. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the initial application.
- Two confidential academic references from individuals who can evaluate your abilities and potential for postgraduate study. They must submit reference letters on official letterhead.
- Evidence of acceptance into your proposed postgraduate program for the following year. An offer of admission is required before the scholarship can be awarded.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) outlining your relevant experience, qualifications, publications, awards, and other achievements.
The application deadline is January 1st each year for domestic. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The scholarship committee evaluates applications based on academic merit, research potential, and personal qualities that indicate the capacity to contribute to society upon completion of study. Announcements of successful recipients are made the following March.
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship provides generous support for outstanding students to pursue postgraduate study at leading universities. With a prestigious award and financial assistance for your education, the opportunities ahead are boundless.
Deadline: January 1st 2024
What the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship Covers
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship provides substantial financial assistance to graduate students pursuing master’s or doctoral degrees. The scholarship covers:
1. Tuition Fees
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship will pay for the full tuition fees of your postgraduate program at the university. This includes all mandatory course fees so you can focus on your studies without worrying about the cost.
2. Living Allowance
The scholarship provides a generous living allowance to help cover your living expenses, such as rent, food, and transport, for the duration of your degree. The exact amount will depend on the city or town where your university is located. This allowance means you can dedicate yourself fully to your research or coursework instead of working part-time.
3. Relocation Assistance
If you need to relocate to attend your postgraduate program, the Northcote Scholarship will provide a one-time relocation allowance to help with moving costs. This grant can be used to help pay for expenses such as transportation of belongings, temporary housing upon arrival, and other relocation necessities.
4. Research Costs
For research-based degrees like PhDs, the Northcote Scholarship will cover additional costs required for your research such as equipment, software, conference travel, and field work expenses. The specific amount will depend on the needs of your research project.
5. Mentoring and Networking
As a Northcote Scholar, you will have access to mentoring and networking opportunities. You can connect with other scholars and build relationships with leaders in your field of study. Exclusive events will allow you to expand your professional networks and open up more career opportunities after you graduate.
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship provides end-to-end support for your postgraduate study. With full tuition coverage, a living allowance, research funding and access to mentoring, you can pursue your master’s or PhD with peace of mind. This prestigious award will enable you to reach your full academic potential.
The Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship aims to support outstanding students pursuing research-based postgraduate study at the University of Melbourne. If you have any other questions about the scholarship, please see the FAQs below.
1. What courses are eligible?
Research master’s degrees and PhDs at the University of Melbourne are eligible for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship. Both domestic and international students may apply.
2. What is the value of the scholarship?
The scholarship provides a stipend of $30,000 per annum for up to two years for a research master’s degree or three years for a PhD. Recipients are also eligible for fee remission for the length of the scholarship.
3. What are the selection criteria?
The primary selection criteria are:
- Academic merit and potential for outstanding achievement in the proposed field of study. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 80% or equivalent in their most recent degree.
- The significance and viability of the proposed research topic. Applicants must submit a research proposal outlining the scope and aims of their intended research project.
- Two confidential academic referee reports attesting to the applicant’s ability and potential to undertake research at a master’s or PhD level.
- Evidence of strong communication and interpersonal skills, based on the personal statement in the application form.
4. When are applications due?
Applications for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship open in August of each year for commencement the following year. The deadline for applications is 1st January. Late applications will not be accepted. Applicants will be notified of the outcome in March.
5. Where can I obtain an application form?
You can access the application form for the Northcote Postgraduate Scholarship on the University of Melbourne’s scholarships website. Please carefully review the guidelines and instructions before submitting your application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.